Saturday, July 17, 2010

Food and Drink Update



I tried the gelato mentioned in the previous post. As it turns out, this place Angelo Brocato's is extremely famous in New Orleans. It also turns out that they are hiring. I haven't put in my application yet, but i might swing by today or tomorrow so that I can have a really reasonable excuse to eat an eclair or a scoop of stracciatella.
The gelato I tried was the Bacci. It was fine, but I was sort of disappointed with the texture, which was grainy in the way that ice cream will get if you freeze it too long without moving it. It had big chunks of hazelnut though, and, let's face it--I would have eaten a gallon of it in one sitting if given the chance.


As promised, I also ate at Sucre, the bakery near my other new house. Look at how cute that cake-made-of-macarons is. Yeah, it's real cute. Yeah, its a real cute store. Real expensive too. And guess what--you're paying for cute. I ate an eclair there and it was TERRIBLE! It also cost me $4. I got a better pastry at the latino grocery in my neighborhood. I couldn't believe it. The coffee was really good. The macarons were ok, although honestly I think they're just there to serve the purpose of having somewhere where people who spent a semester abroad in Paris can say "Oh I just really miss the macarons, I'm so glad I can go somewhere to talk endlessly about my adventures in Europe besides the French Quarter." People love branding and have terrible taste in pastries so I can see why everyone is so wild about this place.

2 comments:

samtron77e said...

Man, my pistachio almond was the farthest thing away from grainy that I could possibly imagine. Maybe you went to a different place before and just thought you were getting gelato? I'll bet you ate fudgesicles in the Rouses parking lot and made up a story about gelato later.

Also, you said, "I got a better pastry at the latino grocery in my neighborhood. I couldn't believe it."

Do you realize how racist this sounds?

Chapin said...

This makes me think of this place in Chapel Hill called Sugarland. Everything there is super pretty and colorful, but I have yet to hear of anyone liking anything they've had from there.