Saturday, July 17, 2010

World Cup of Soup

Last Saturday (was that last saturday?) Benji and I crossed the Mighty Mississippi into Gretna for some pho (FINALLYTHANKGOD).

We got to the restaurant just in time to see the last half and extra time of the final game of the World Cup. The restaurant was sort of half filled with people who were kind of excited about the game--exactly the kind of atmosphere I want to eat pho/watch the World Cup in because I REALLY care about pho and only care about the World Cup in the sense that it seems like I ought to have some marginal interest in it.

I ordered a large Pho Tai, a classic. It was so large that I decided that the challenge of eating it would be MY World Cup, an idea that was (understandably) met with little enthusiasm when I shared it with Benji. The soup was fantastic, and was served with a really well-stocked plate of garnishes which is extremely important. I didn't finish my bowl and Spain won. No one in the restaurant reacted with any sort of joy or anger about the result--they just got up and left. Which is about how I felt leaving some of my soup behind.
Anyway, greatest day of my life.

Side note:

"Why don't you take pictures, Kaitlin?"

Well, friend, it's because my camera is still packed.

"Don't you have a camera phone?"

I LEAVE IT AT HOME A LOT LEAVE ME ALONE.

"Sorry, you're really touchy, i didn't realize"

YES.

2 comments:

Erin said...

I love this blog.

Chapin said...

I love the title of this post. I think there needs to be a soup contest called that.